Friday, May 21, 2010

My town - Huntington, West Virginia

I read several blogs and a post that is going around is to describe our home towns. I thought I would give it a try.


Huntington has had a lot of notoriety in the last several years.

First you will recall "The Marshall Movie" it was filmed to show how Marshall University and the city of Huntington could rally back after losing all but about three of their football team in a plane crash in the 70's. The scene in the movie where Matthew (the coach) was playing around with his son, and the boy runs outside to get the newspaper. That is the street that I live on, you can't see my house but I live about five houses down from the one filmed.

Second, I'm sure you have heard about the (fatest) most unhealthy city in the country "Huntington".

There has even been a chef come to try and teach the cooks at our schools to cook healthier. Jon says it lasted just a couple of weeks.

Last but not least the middle school that Jon goes to just won a contest that was nationwide for healthy eating and physical activity. Go figure.

Some facts about Huntington: I have lived here longer than the town that I was raised in (Ft. Thomas, KY) ~ in the city the population is 56,000 ~ we have several really nice parks, like the one pictured (Ritter) below ~ is located on the Ohio River, bordering Kentucky and Ohio.




That's my town, hope you all have a great weekend!

Beth

2 comments:

jenn said...

I love Huntington! I went to Marshall for a year and then traveled a different path. I live in Bridgeport WV. Your cards are wonderful! Scrapbooking is one of my biggest passions!

Beth said...

Jenn, Thank you for your kind words. I am just starting and loving it. Thanks for visiting my site.